Writing and Editing Services
Joey Madia:
Writing, Editing, and Story Analysis
I have been a
professional editor in the publishing industry for 32 years. I began in 1994 as
a researcher and then assistant manager for the college overview publisher
Peterson's Guides and then Wintergreen Orchard House. I have edited academic
journals and books for leading publishing companies like Taylor and Francis,
Brunner-Routledge, and Research Institute of America and organizations such as
the Red Cross and AARP. I was a development editor for Springer Science and
Medicine for several years, responsible for coordinating the production of
books on cancer and medical simulation training.
I have also edited numerous master’s theses, doctoral dissertations, and
books (non-fiction and fiction, including memoirs) for independent authors,
scholars, and small presses.
I have extensive experience ghost-writing both fiction and non-fiction
books and have co-written three commissioned screenplays and the book for a
rock opera based on true stories. My clients include those in the world of high
finance and investment, systems development, private security and weapons
training, spirituality and life coaching, psychology, creative writing,
theatre, film, Escape Rooms, audio drama, and historical entertainment.
Basic
Rates (each
project is different, but these are typical charges)
Fiction or non-fiction
(based on Word documents double-spaced in 12 point type with
one-inch
margins)
$9 per page for
developmental editing/heavy editing (or a rate of $60 an hour)
$7 per page for
standard editing (or a rate of $45 an hour)
$5 per page for
proofreading
All changes are
marked in Track Changes in Word
Thesis and
Doctoral Dissertation Editing
$7 per page for
standard editing.
$8 per page for
heavy editing.
$65 per hour for formatting tables, figures, etc.
Ghost
Writing
Rates vary
between $15 and $18 per page or an hourly rate of $80/hour, depending on the
amount of development of character, plot, structure, etc. required.
The client
retains all rights to the produced work and sole credit.
Story
Analysis and Script Doctoring
$80/hour (flat
rates can be negotiated based on page count and the type of work)
I have helped
many novelists, screenwriters, and playwrights with their books and scripts,
leading to high-level meetings with industry professionals and production
deals.
I provide a
detailed analysis using industry standard tools to break your story down and
find the areas that need work. I believe in the three-act model, the Hero's
journey and tools such as Blake Snyder's Save the Cat.
Consulting
and Coaching
$75/hour
Unfortunately,
there are countless scams out there for writers, claiming to want to publish
your book or turn it into a film. Many contests take advantage of writers as
well, collecting fees and not providing much in exchange. I have been advising
clients and saving them thousands of dollars they would have wasted on these
scams.
I can also consult on when it is best to go through agents or managers,
submit directly to publishers or contests, and when to self-publish. I have
extensive experience in self-publishing and working with publishers to publish
my 18 fiction and non-fiction books.
I am available through both Zoom and Skype for a consulting
session.
I am also experienced in helping writers develop their skills and have 35
years of experience as a creative writing teacher and workshop leader.
After-Editing
Services (rate of $75/hour)
I am always
cultivating relationships with publicists and hybrid book publishers, helping
clients who decide to self-publish to compete in a very competitive field. If
you are thinking about starting your own book imprint, self-publishing, or need
advice about the market and developing your personal brand, let's talk.
Contact me at joeymadiawriter@gmail.com
Joey Madia is a storyteller in many forms. He is
an actor, director, screenwriter, Escape Room and immersive experience
designer, podcaster, historical education specialist, and author of 19 fiction
and nonfiction books.
His one-man
show and five novels on the Golden Age of Piracy, “The Cannon and the Quill,”
have been entertaining and educating audiences since 2016 and have been
featured in the North Carolina Travel
Guide, Carolina Coast, and other
magazines and on television in Japan.
The Cannon and
the Quill is part of The Stanton Chronicles, 10 books (and counting!), which
are History meets Mystery and the Paranormal. They draw from classic fiction
(Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), cryptids and other
creatures (such as Mothman), UFO lore, the legends of Route 66, vampires, and
fallen angels.
He has written
two fantasy novels, Jester-Knight and Aldemere’s Dilemma.
He is the
co-author of two nonfiction books on the paranormal and five nonfiction books
on theatre and writing. His book on storytelling, Every Day Is a Story All
Its Own, is now in its second edition and has been endorsed by several film
and TV industry professionals. It has been an Amazon Number 1 new release
bestseller.
Joey works with
publicists, agents, Fortune 500 companies, and producers around the country as
a consultant, story analyst, ghostwriter, and script doctor. He’s written the
narrative and designed the puzzles for eight historically themed Escape Rooms (including
the 5-star Mothman ’66) and has consulted for the global competition team at
Mercedes-Benz.
He is the
writer of nearly thirty screenplays and stage plays.

Comments
Post a Comment